If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 11 March 2013

Healthy Chocolate Fudge

I only just realised I had neglected to post this.  Getting into the whole healthy chocolate thing (you know - chocolate, but guilt-free - SCORE!!!), a friend suggested chocolate fudge.  I browsed for recipes and found plenty, then picked this one from Better Nutrition - find the recipe here.

I must stress (as if it wasn't obvious) that my fudge looked nothing like their fudge.  So different, in fact, that I had to read it carefully to check it was actually the same recipe.  My version, then:

Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil (this had already turned liquid so I could skip the official step 1)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup honey (I would reduce the amount for next time, it was super sweet)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Method
Because I could skip step 1, it seemed a bit superfluous to use a food processor-type thing.  So I combined all the ingredients in a bowl, and mixed until combined.
I lined my loaf pan with plastic wrap (mistake!), scraped the fudge into the tin (very messy), folded the top of the plastic wrap over the fudge, and gently pressed down to even the thickness.  Aiming for thickness of about a half inch, mine covered about 2/3 of the base of the tin. 
Into the freezer until set (about 30 minutes).  Cut into squares to serve.

Technically, between the last 2 sentences should be another: carefully remove the plastic wrap from the bits of fudge that froze around it.  This took a long time, and I got too impatient.  Such a painstaking process (including melting fudge), so I admitted I would probably find slivers of plastic wrap while I was eating.  Not ideal, but I could deal with it.

The friend who recommended fudge then recommended a different recipe, and (more importantly) using baking paper instead of plastic wrap or foil.  I predict another fudge-making experience soon - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment