If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 4 November 2012

The Durufle Requiem

Evensong was what brought me to St John's cathedral as an adult.  Now, though, I usually only go if I'm on the roster for the evening (usually once a month).  This evening, evensong was replaced - as it is every year at this time - by a requiem and commemoration of the faithful departed.  I wasn't on duty tonight so this would normally find me running a long way.  However, I wanted to hear the Durufle Requiem again, and just be in the congregation instead of doing anything.

I am rather partial to this requiem.  It had been many years since I'd heard it last, and I don't recall hearing it live before.  Hearing it performed (is there another word for this when in the context of liturgy?) by a combined choir of St John's and St Stephen's cathedrals was really something.  Those passages that need a really strong force were met with such power.  And hearing a religious work in its intended setting (well, almost - not an actual funeral) is something a CD just can't emulate. 

Although it wasn't a perfect performance, I found it very moving.  Not just the music, either - I was quite teary during the sermon.  I'm not sure if I want to find my old recording of the requiem as there's so much tied up in that...  But maybe I'll look for a new recording.  And - thinking ahead - I wouldn't mind this for my funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment