If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 4 February 2013

New Food - Sardines

Yes, it's true - this was my first sardine experience, at least as far as I'm aware.  The last time I was buying tinned fish, sardines were 2 for something, so I took a deep breath and bought 2 packets.  For years I was a tuna person, and then about a year ago I just couldn't take it any more, so switched to salmon.  I thought maybe now I could change it up again.  Today was the day.

I have a recipe for a pasta sauce using sardines, so did something vaguely similar.  A small chopped carrot, cooked with half a tin of chopped tomatoes and some chopped basil stalks, then the basil leaves, some salad greens, and the chopped sardines.  Top with Parmesan.  When I was nearly finished, I realised chilli would have been a great addition.  Next time.

Although I was a bit worried about eating this, once it was all in the sauce it was fine.  I think my aversion prior to this (apart from a Flanders & Swann song from my childhood) was the fact that sardines actually look like fish.  Everything else I eat that used to eat something else no longer looks like a living thing by the time I get to it.  That, and I had a suspicion (unfounded, as it turned out) that sardines would be super-fishy.  I don't think I'm up to having a sardine salad, but as part of something cooked and squished, this was a winner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment