If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 16 February 2013

The Belgian Bier Cafe

If you've been reading carefully, you might remember I said I would be giving up alcohol for Lent.  Oh yeah, that was in yesterday's post.  So, it's going super well, so far.  I owe ... ah, some money to the financial penalty kitty.  Yesterday was a celebration (and feast day for St Claude la Colombiere, just to be on the safe side).  Today was... well, Google tells me there are several for today, but I'll go with St. Joseph of Antioch.  I met up with a friend in town, and we went to the Belgian Bier Cafe.  I had my first ever Belgian beer. 

I'm not a beer drinker.  Before today, I'd had maybe 2 mouthfuls, on separate occasions, which didn't go down well.  Maybe 2 years ago, I drank a whole 'girl' beer on my own, as an experiment.  I know beer doesn't do good things for me, so I never really tried to like it.  I was assured that Belgian beer was different, and it was.  Very slowly, I made it through a whole, small, glass of Leffe.  Accompanied by the fabulous chips.  Chips which have the coolest presentation, ever.  I didn't take a picture of the whole thing, but a cone of chips with a side of mayonnaise, set in a small table with swirly legs - tick for artistry.  And endless chips.

Yes, I took a photo of the feet.  So, I'm not sure I could ever have more than one Belgian beer.  And I'm pretty sure I can't do this very often.  But in future I know that authentic Belgian beer is drinkable, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment