If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 3 February 2013

Running On The Other Side

I knew this day would come.  My brain fought it as much as it could.  I postponed the inevitable as long as possible.  But today, I succumbed.  So, I had fair warning that a chunk of the bike path would be closed to pedestrians for a while, as it is to be upgraded (a good thing) and then, this week, cleaned up after the flood.  When this is happening, they direct us to the path by the road.  This is less than ideal - this path is only wide enough for one person, and is right next to a major road.  Scary, especially when you have all the inconsiderate pedestrians from the bike path all jammed onto that skinny strip.  I hadn't run all week (except at the gym), and this morning, rather desperate for a run, I worked out how I would do it.  Instead of crossing to my normal side at Toowong, I stayed on the same side and ran along the footpath.  At the Go Between Bridge, I crossed and continued along the bike path.

Some benefits and some drawbacks of this.  I don't have to deal with inconsiderate pedestrians, except for a smattering of people crawling between pubs.  I do have multiple side streets to cross - the risk of traffic makes me run faster though, so I consider this a plus.  The lights at the GBB take forever, and they're not the sort you can ignore.  I really missed the view - but I still had a visually satisfying section between the GBB and my end point.  This was rather unusual as far as my runs go.  The river was flowing faster than I've ever seen in person, yet looked glassier than it usually does, too.  It was evident that the river had recently flooded, as the path was dirty from the silt, but you could also see how high it had come - at some places the debris line was higher than my head. 

I feel so much better now - not only has the run done its usual Good Things for my brain and body and mood, but I know this is a viable option for river runs.  Phew.  Incidentally, I knew it had a been a while since a running post - but today there were several views of a running post from April.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment