If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 17 February 2013

The Toowong Cemetery

It seems incredible that today was my first visit to Toowong Cemetery.  Getting there, I went right past where I lived in high school.  This weekend I thought I should do my 'new place in Brisbane' thing, but yesterday I had no clue as to where to go.  Last night I went to Google maps, and after checking out Brisbane, California (in the San Francisco area), I went to Brisbane, Queensland.  Zoom and pan.  Toowong Cemetery caught my eye, and after considering a few other options, decided this was it.  February: done.

Today was a little rainy, and I nearly called it off.  About 1:30 the rain cleared though, so I packed my umbrella and set off.  This was such a good thing for me to do today.  I've been longing for solitude, and I found such peace in this place.  Traffic was still evident but distant, and apart from the birds it was quiet.  I came across 3 people and 3 dogs.

I had no real concept of how large this cemetery is.  Today I saw maybe a tiny bit of half of it.  I started off taking Boundary Rd - amazing vista, really high up, great views of the threatening rain clouds... And nowhere to take shelter when it started bucketing.  Little Jane Austen moment as I discovered my umbrella is terrible, cemeteries look great in the rain, and there are small brick shelters planted here and there.  Phew.

Once the rain had stopped, I took a slightly slower meander along another path, and was drawn to this bright white monument.  And I got rather excited when I realised it was in memory of the Mayne family, of the University of Queensland and The Mayne Inheritance fame.  And then the peace of the place took over, and I noticed I really like the iron railings.

Really, how peaceful is this?    Nothing but me and the birds.
If I hadn't taken this photo, I would have forgotten about it.  But looking like it was meant to be there, lined up with graves from more than 50 years ago, was a microwave.

And there were beautiful flowers.

Now that I know how easy it is to get there, and how peaceful it is, I know I'll be going back.  I also know that I have a relative buried there, so I'd like to find her name and then her burial plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment