If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 16 September 2012

El Violin Y El Sombrero

Today was the second mariachi gig.  We played for the Independence Day celebrations for, pretty much, all of South and Central America.  For our publicity shots in June, we got to wear sombreros.  I found it so awkward, like I had a mega weight on my head... which is, in fact, the case.  Sombreros are heavy!  However, for the first gig (for Columbia's national day), we didn't wear them.  Today, we did.

On the upside, it meant I didn't have to worry about how to deal with the flower and newly short hair (although Elisa, our wardrobe consultant, did a wonderful job).  On the downside - and this is a huge downside - you can't play violin and wear a sombrero at the same time.  Unless you play solely on the G and D strings.  After our 3rd piece, I had to take mine off, I kept missing the string and making awful sounds. 

It was just slightly crowded in the 'backstage' area.  Apart from all of us (7 plus a singer plus Elisa), there were Christmas decorations (as seen in the photo), and about 10 sombreros, and big plastic bags of I have no idea what.  Awkward for photos, among other things.

Today's photo:

After we'd performed, my flower was sitting on one of the other sombreros.

No comments:

Post a Comment