If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 26 September 2012

The Glasses and the Hotspot

Over the last couple of years (in which I haven't had an eye checkup) I've noticed my eyesight deteriorating somewhat.  I'm not at the running-into-walls stage yet (except for this one time...) but I knew I needed a stronger prescription.  Last week, I had my first checkup in about 5 years.  Although the optometrist assured me that the deterioration was perfectly normal for that length of time, I still felt a bit low.  However, I decided to consider glasses as an extra accessory.  I've had a couple of pairs of glasses before now, which I wear to watch tv (especially the Simpsons) and read music when I'm tired or the light is poor or the print quality is not great.  The new pair came in at the end of last week, and I've slowly started wearing them more often.

On Sunday, I wore them to church.  For the first time.  Combined with the new haircut, a few people didn't actually recognise me.  I did enjoy being able to see people who weren't in the first 10 rows - it can be awkward meeting people who I've only just noticed but have been coming for months, and sometimes I get a shock thinking someone I wouldn't expect to see is there when it turns out to be someone totally different.  And it's really nice to be able to see again.  Unfortunately whenever I think that, I also think of a totally terrible joke.

The other news is I'm using my Personal Hotspot for internet right now.  About a year ago, a student came into her lesson very excited.  She was one of 3 sisters I taught in a row, so the mum would sit in the car with them while they had their lessons one after another.  One night, they'd discovered the Personal Hotspot in the iPhone - so you can use your phone's 3G to provide WiFi for other devices.  They showed me where to find it too (this girl dragged me to the car so we could find it) and tonight is the first I've actually made use of it.  Handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment