If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 2 September 2012

Gardening, Part 3

Yes, I did more gardening today.  It made me feel better.

I planted mixed lettuce seeds (I don't really like lettuce, so I'm hoping the 'I grew this myself' factor improves my appreciation).  I also planted spinach seeds.  After buying the seeds a few weeks ago, I then read they need to have cool sowing conditions.  I thought I'd have to wait until next year.  However, it's not warm enough to plant the rosemary yet, and we're still having winter temperatures (mainly), so I took a gamble.  More seeds and plants to come!

I also staked my tomato plant.  This is the first time I've taken so much care about a tomato plant.  The plants themselves seem to just appear, produce flowers and occasionally green tomatoes...  I thought keeping them up, off the ground, in the sun more, might improve the chances of producing and maintaining growth.  I'd had some thoughts about what to use for a stake - I really didn't want to go to a store to buy one, that seems ridiculous.  After a few trials, I realised there was a perfect supply in the garage.  A previous gardening experience, still waiting to be removed... I'll leave it there, but  I took one of the branches, chopped off the little twigs and chopped it to about a metre (although I'm really bad at estimating distance and length, so it could be a whole lot more...).

I also took a photo of the back of the lettuce and spinach seed packets so I can remember instructions and keep track of how many days til germination and things.  I don't think I've ever been that organised.  And I watered everything with fertilizer.

Today's photo:

From the garden, of course.  I found a tomato today!  First for this actual plant, and on a bit of plant that looks rather dead.  Maybe it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment