If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 21 September 2012

Movie #21 - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

It's been ages since I saw a new movie.  Looking up my list of posts to see what number this was, I discovered it's been close to 2 months since my last.  On Saturday, I was thinking about weekend plans not involving playing for money, and figured I was due to watch something other than my favourite TV shows.  "Yes," says my brother, "Sam said to tell you - less of the outfits, more movies".  Well, Sam, you're stuck with 3 school outfits a week during school terms, but here's a movie for you. 

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was one I'd hoped to see at the movies, but didn't.  (There were 3 I wanted to see all out at the same time, and Safe House won).  I was rather keen to see this one, as spy thrillers are right up my alley.  I hadn't even realised that Colin Firth was in it - score! 

Due to my exhausted state while watching, this won't be the most in-depth, intelligent discussion ever.  And because I was watching with someone else, I didn't stop to take notes...  Although, I'm not sure I would have anyway.  I really enjoyed this movie, and it's one I would watch again - mostly to work out more of what on earth was going on.  I think I worked it out, but I am rather dim when it comes to plot intricacies.  Often I get to the end of a movie, think "that was great!", but can't explain what happened along the way.  This was one of those.  There is still one scene, just a snippet in a bit of a montage (you gotta have a montage), that is still saying "why???" in my head. 

I was quite proud of myself for working out the culprit before it was revealed at the end.  I'm not sure how I feel about the culprit, though.  He was the only character I actually liked, even after the revelation of his badness. 

The music I enjoyed, it was quite apt without being a cliched 'ooh this is a spy thriller' soundtrack.  And the camera work - well.   The whole movie was so dark, so gloomy, so atmospheric.  You could see the griminess of bureaucracy and secrets, it made me long for sunshine and clean air.  I couldn't help thinking, too, that this was an England in which I'd been, albeit a few years later.

Still, the whole spy thing raises this question in me every time - how would I actually go at working out a spy, detecting a mole?  Finding out who is actually lying to me while giving the air of wide-eyed innocence?  And all this without the help of a script and plot?  Which always gives rise to the other question - how would I go at being a spy myself?

Today's photo:

I noticed that my new tomato plant has grown a whole extra section, and has yet another about to unfurl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment