If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 1 September 2012

Gardening, Part 2

A couple of weeks ago, I got stuck into the garden.  I needed help, and this resulted in a much-reduced hedge.  Although this has had some negative repercussions, I'm dealing with it as best I can.  More developments are planned, but in the meantime I needed some privacy again.  Stat.

More mock oranges were planned, but as they were the source of the disagreeable red berries, I wasn't totally keen.  Plus, my local plants supplier didn't have any.  They did have crotons, though, so I bought a couple of them.  The problem of course was sunlight.  The above photo was taken mid-morning, and sunlight is strong there for about 3 hours (depending on the time of year) and then non-existent.  Fertilizer and perhaps some added hanging plants, at least for now, will I hope keep things a bit more private.  It does feel rather exposed out there right now.

The above photo was taken maybe an hour later than the top one, and you can tell the difference in sunlight.  I also potted a camellia, hoping it will cope better than the last one.  Since planting the parsley recently, I've taken greater care with the garden so I'm hoping my green thumb is returning.

Today's photo:

The gig today was so cold.  Although it was a sunny day, the temperature was not terribly high (low 20s), and we were playing on the shady side of the hotel, right next to the river.  And it was windy.  Before long, I had donned my post-gig warm top and scarf, and I was still cold.  Viola Man even borrowed a jacket from another violinist playing inside!  Thankfully, the mother of the bride was wonderful, told us to stop playing early because we must be so cold, got us drinks and food, and talked music and musicians.  Just before we played our last piece, the river and sunset were stunning - a silvery river and a sky of solid pastels.  By the time we'd finished, the sky colours had faded somewhat, but the effect was still present.  The whole time we were playing, I was wanting to be running - my 15+km runs take me past this point, and it's been a while, not to mention the cold factor!

No comments:

Post a Comment