If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 30 September 2012

Ssshhh... Please

This morning, I was on duty to serve at church.  As it turns out, I was also on duty to do the prayers - I only found out this fact because the person in front of me had a list of everyone who had a job.  Reading it, I started thinking ... why would you have a list of these things... that just seems so... why is my name there... wait, that's my name - for prayers?!  Thankfully, there are ways to do these almost on the fly.  Anyway, after communion - in the only time a server has to themselves (and even then, still keeping an eye out for if we're needed) - the person in front of me came back for a conversation. 

Now, talking in the sanctuary is a no-no.  It's distracting and just not on.  At servers' meetings, we've been reminded of this fact more than once.  However, not everyone in the sanctuary is a server, and obviously this person hasn't received the message.  In this post-communion conversation, I was as brief as possible.  I know this is not the first time this has happened, and the 'no non-essential talk' request has not made it through to this person.  I'm not good at talking, so this evening I drafted an email.  Not sent yet - I want it to be as polite as it can be, and it might need a couple of revisions before I'm happy with it. 

This whole step is new for me.  Previously, I would say and do nothing.  I might gripe about it internally, or to one or two people close to me, but nothing more.  More recently, I've started telling someone about these things - someone who has the authority and the tact to deal with it better than me.  Actually saying something myself to the person involved - this is really new.  The next level is to say something - in person, with words and all.  But for now, baby steps and emails.

Yesterday's photo:

Sometimes the sunlight looks different.  Yesterday it was looking different on the older tomato plant.

Today's photo:

Water drops and kale.  I'm loving kale.

No comments:

Post a Comment